Subject: Monday motivation from Arnold
From: Arnold Schwarzenegger <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 10:06:35 +0000 (UTC)

​

​
​

​

Welcome to the positive corner of wellness. Here’s a daily digest
designed to make you healthier in less than 5 minutes. If you
were forwarded this message, you can get the free daily email
here. (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/wnh2hghw9oxdrkt7/aHR0cHM6Ly9zY2h3YXJ6ZW5lZ2dlci5jay5wYWdlLzA5NDNjYTVlMTM=
)​

----------------------
Today’s Health Upgrade
----------------------

* Arnold’s Monday motivation
* The takeout diet
* Workout of the week

-----------------------------
Monday Motivation With Arnold
-----------------------------

Years ago, before I was the Arnold you know now, I ran into Henry
Kissinger (former Secretary of State, National Security Advisor,
and Nobel Peace Prize winner). He was probably like I am for many
of you — someone I saw on TV all the time. I read whatever he
wrote, and I was blown away by his intelligence. It was a big
deal for me, so I had to use my opportunity to ask him a
question.

“How are you so calm and collected in all of your interviews?”

He gave me advice I’d never forget. “Arnold, the trick is, I
start out by asking the interviewer questions. I show that I’m
curious about them and want to know about their life. It throws
them off wanting to interrogate me and it also puts my mind at
ease since now it isn’t an interview where I’m waiting nervously
for the first question; it’s just a regular conversation.”

Last week I talked about listening to people because sometimes
they need to be heard. This week, I want you to try to go a step
further: be curious about people. You never know what you’ll
learn.

As a bonus, when you go on the offensive and start asking other
people questions, you’ll find it eases any anxiety you might have
about conversation or even a job interview. It’s a skill that
will help you in all aspects of your life. I’ve been lucky to
meet almost all of my heroes — from Nelson Mandela to Mikhail
Gorbachev — and one thing they have in common is never-ending
curiosity. They’re always hungry for more information.

A few years after my conversation with Kissinger, I had a big
interview: I was sitting down with Barbara Walters for the first
time. While we were getting settled, I said, “Who is one of your
favorite interviews?”

Barbara lit up, and she told me that Henry Kissinger was a
fantastic interview. She went on and on about how he always
wanted to know everything about her, and we both relaxed more as
we laughed about it. I couldn’t help but start the interview with
a smile; the only reason we were talking about Kissinger was that
I’d started out by using what I’d learned from him. I’d become
the questioner.

Spend this week being as curious as you can, and tell me how it
works out for you. Stay hungry.

----------------
The takeout diet
----------------

We don’t need to tell you that 2020 changed a lot of things. But
a subtle shift in how we eat is impacting our health.

People are ordering more takeout and drive-through meals than
ever. Delivery is up more than 5 percent, and drive-through is up
13 percent, according to the National Restaurant Association. And
the data suggests these eating habits have a cost.

Eating one meal away from home per week translates to adding
roughly two extra pounds each year, according to USDA research.

This doesn’t mean you have to avoid restaurants. But it does mean
a little bit of strategy can make a big difference. One study
found that participants who were given nutrition strategies lost
4 pounds despite not eating takeout less often.

The ability to take the stress out of eating (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/reh8hoh095wpq7s2/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYW1hem9uLmNvbS9Zb3UtQ2FudC1TY3Jldy1UaGlzLVVwL2RwLzAwNjMyMzA1NzcvcmVmPXRtbV9ocmRfc3dhdGNoXzA_X2VuY29kaW5nPVVURjgmcWlkPSZzcj0=
) — and not avoid everything you love — can be a life-changing
decision that makes it easier to stick to your plan.

Here are a few things that can help:

* Don’t skip meals when you have takeout. Some people try to
“save room” for delivery, but that just leaves you hungrier and
more likely to eat more than you normally would.
* Order all dressings and marinades on the side and only use
half. (they are often where most hidden calories get inflated).
* Ask for ¼ the oil (it's easy in today's apps, you won’t notice
a difference in taste, and it can save you hundreds of calories)
* Eat protein first in the meal
* Take your time enjoying your meal. Your body takes
approximately 20 minutes to process the food you eat. Oftentimes,
you keep eating not because you’re hungry but simply because you
eat too fat.

Add it all up, and you don’t have to lose your mind or feel
guilty after every takeout order.

-------------------
Workout of the Week
-------------------

Your body does NOT need weights to change; it requires
resistance. When machines, dumbbells, and barbells are not
available (or unwanted), your body weight can be used to create
an amazingly effective workout that builds muscle.

As we previously shared, research suggests (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/8ghqhohle5q8gxik/aHR0cHM6Ly9wdWJtZWQubmNiaS5ubG0ubmloLmdvdi8yNTg1MzkxNC8=
) that intensity — not the amount of weight you use — drives
muscle growth. In other words, you can use heavier or lighter
weights as long as you push yourself near the point of failure.

To find the sweet spot with bodyweight exercises, try supersets,
giant sets, and circuits to add more volume and use
“self-limiting” exercises. Self-limiting movements — like
push-ups and inverted rows — reduce your injury risk because when
you can no longer complete any reps, you simply stop moving
(without the fear of a barbell crushing you).

Here’s an example of a bodyweight, muscle-building workout that
will prioritize intensity, focus on self-limiting exercises, and
move at a pace where you will exhaust your muscle and force them
to grow.

How to do it: Perform this workout as a giant set, meaning you’ll
do one exercise after another, resting as little as possible
between exercises. After you complete all the movements, rest for
3 minutes, and then repeat another 2 to 4 times.

1A. Inverted row: AMAP (“as many reps as possible,” until you
can’t do them correctly)

1B. Inverted row hold: 10 seconds (on your last rep of inverted
rows, pull your chest to the bar, and squeeze your shoulder
blades together, holding as long as possible)

1C. Pushups: AMAP

1D. Plank: 10 seconds (on your last rep of pushups, hold your
body in the plank position, pushing down through your palms,
creating tension in your arms, chest, and abs)

1E. Alternating reverse lunges: 10-20 reps

1F. Bodyweight squats: AMAP

1G. Squat hold: 10 seconds (on your last rep of squats, lower
your body and hold the bottom of the squat for 10 seconds)

1H. Glute-hamstring walkouts: (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/l2hehmh35k6poot6/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj0wQVdkLVVQTGFDZw==
) 60 seconds

Give it a try, and let us know how it goes!

—

Lift your friends up, get a personalized, signed copy of my
Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding

Help me with my fitness crusade and recruit new members. Share
your referral link and if 2 people sign up for The Pump Daily,
you’ll be entered to win a personalized, signed copy of my
Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. Five winners will be selected.

Text or email this link to your friends to enter.

https://sparklp.co/b630d72a/ (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/e0hph7h09nqzkqt8/aHR0cHM6Ly9zcGFya2xwLmNvL2I2MzBkNzJhLw==
)

facebook (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/p8heh9hzk7ge9mtq/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tL3NoYXJlci5waHA_dT1odHRwczovL3NwYXJrbHAuY28vYjYzMGQ3MmEvJTNGdXRtX3NvdXJjZSUzRGZhY2Vib29r
)
twitter (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/9qhzhnhpk2z8g8s9/aHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0dGVyLmNvbS9pbnRlbnQvdHdlZXQ_dGV4dD1JJUUyJTgwJTk5bSUyMG1vdmluZyUyMGNsb3NlciUyMHRvJTIwbXklMjBnb2FscyUyMGJ5JTIwc3Vic2NyaWJpbmclMjB0byUyMCU0MFNjaHdhcnplbmVnZ2VyJ3MlMjBQdW1wJTIwRGFpbHklMjBuZXdzbGV0dGVyLiUyMEpvaW4lMjBtZSUzQSUwQSUwQWh0dHBzOi8vc3BhcmtscC5jby9iNjMwZDcyYS8lM0Z1dG1fc291cmNlJTNEdHdpdHRlcg==
)
whatsapp (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/48hvhehrz263r5tx/aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkud2hhdHNhcHAuY29tL3NlbmQ_dGV4dD1JJUUyJTgwJTk5bSUyMG1vdmluZyUyMGNsb3NlciUyMHRvJTIwbXklMjBnb2FscyUyMGJ5JTIwc3Vic2NyaWJpbmclMjB0byUyMEFybm9sZCUyMFNjaHdhcnplbmVnZ2VyJ3MlMjBQdW1wJTIwRGFpbHklMjBuZXdzbGV0dGVyLiUyMEpvaW4lMjBtZSUzQSUwQSUwQWh0dHBzOi8vc3BhcmtscC5jby9iNjMwZDcyYS8lM0Z1dG1fc291cmNlJTNEd2hhdHNhcHA=
)

PS: You have referred 0 people so far

Publisher: Arnold Schwarzenegger (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/8ghqhohle5q8lxbk/aHR0cHM6Ly9jbGljay5jb252ZXJ0a2l0LW1haWwuY29tL3psdW5lMnI1djJibmg0ODI3cmRzcC94MGhwaDZobm1lN3Z3bGY1L2FIUjBjSE02THk5amJHbGpheTVqYjI1MlpYSjBhMmwwTFcxaGFXd3VZMjl0THpNNGRUaHliSHB2WjJ4aGEyaHZibnBrZWpKaWNpODFPR2gyYURkb05UUjNNekI2WjNRMkwyRklVakJqU0UwMlRIazVNR1F5YkRCa1IxWjVURzFPZG1KVE9WUlpNbWd6V1ZoS05scFhOV3hhTW1Sc1kyYzlQUT09
)​

Editors-in-chief: Adam Bornstein (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/dpheh0h0z78x0ehm/aHR0cHM6Ly9jbGljay5jb252ZXJ0a2l0LW1haWwuY29tL3psdW5lMnI1djJibmg0ODI3cmRzcC82cWhlaDhocDRsMjg3MmhvL2FIUjBjSE02THk5amJHbGpheTVqYjI1MlpYSjBhMmwwTFcxaGFXd3VZMjl0THpNNGRUaHliSHB2WjJ4aGEyaHZibnBrZWpKaWNpOHlOV2d5YUc5b04zRjRiR2RsTkdFekwyRklVakJqU0UwMlRIazVNR1F5YkRCa1IxWjVURzFPZG1KVE9VTmlNMHAxVW0xc01HSnRWbnBqZHowOQ==
) & Daniel Ketchell (
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/7qh7h8hov4weozbz/aHR0cHM6Ly9jbGljay5jb252ZXJ0a2l0LW1haWwuY29tL3psdW5lMnI1djJibmg0ODI3cmRzcC9ra2htaDZoOHBuOTBsOGhsL2FIUjBjSE02THk5amJHbGpheTVqYjI1MlpYSjBhMmwwTFcxaGFXd3VZMjl0THpNNGRUaHliSHB2WjJ4aGEyaHZibnBrZWpKaWNpOXhkbWc0YURkb09Hd3paWFl3Ym1oc0wyRklVakJqU0UwMlRIazVNR1F5YkRCa1IxWjVURzFPZG1KVE9YSmFXRkpxWVVFOVBRPT0=
)​

​

(
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/p8heh9hzk7gezmuq/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tL2Fybm9sZA==
)​
(
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/6qheh8h7v2n47eio/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmVkZGl0LmNvbS91c2VyL2dvdnNjaHdhcnplbmVnZ2Vy
)​
(
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/kkhmh6hlg96plqil/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS9zY2h3YXJ6ZW5lZ2dlci8=
)​
(
https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0/25h2hoh2ro4x2kb3/aHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0dGVyLmNvbS9TY2h3YXJ6ZW5lZ2dlcg==
)​
​

​Unsubscribe (
https://unsubscribe.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0 )
| Update your profile (
https://preferences.convertkit-mail4.com/n4uvpd4z8kuvh8nggeni0 )
| 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

​

​